Family Medicine: Women's Health
7-Night Alaska Cruise Conference
Round-trip Seattle, Washington
August 18 - 25, 2017
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
5¾ Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Medical Director of Monsour Executive Wellness
H. James Brownlee, Jr., MD, is a Professor and the Medical Director of the Monsour Executive Wellness Center. He was previously Chair of the Department of Family Medicine at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine for nearly 20 years.in Tampa, Florida, from 1992-2011.
Dr. Brownlee earned medical degree from the State University of New York Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, New York, he then went on to complete his residency training through the Williamsport Hospital Family Practice Residency Program in Pennsylvania. He completed his teaching fellowship in the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Miami in Florida, followed by a geriatric fellowship at the Geriatric Education Center of the University of North Carolina. Dr. Brownlee is board certified in Family Medicine.
He is a member and fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Dr. Brownlee's accomplishments are:
- Awarded the Educator of the Year, 2009 by the Florida Academy of Family Medicine Physicians.
- Best Doctors in America by Best Doctors, Inc. since 2000
- Osler Award for Best Faculty Role Model, presented by the 1996 graduating class at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine
J. Kell Williams, MD
Professor and Director, Division of Gynecologic Specialties
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Morsani College of Medicine
University of South Florida
J. Kell Williams, MD is current Professor and Director of the Division of Gynecologic Specialties at the Morsani College of Medicine at the University of South Florida in Tampa. He grew up in the Detroit area and obtained a BS in Zoology from the University of Michigan. He is a graduate of Wayne State University School of Medicine where he also completed his OB/GYN Residency. After a few years in private practice, he joined the full-time faculty at Wayne State and in 1982 accepted his current position in Tampa.
Dr. Williams serves of ACOG's National Continuing Medical Education Committee and the District XII (Florida) Advisory Council. He has been a member of the Florida ACOG Advisory Committee continuously since 1987, serving as the Junior Fellow Advisor for 20 years.
Dr. Williams is a Past President of the Florida OB/GYN Society and serves on numerous state and national committees. Early in his career his primary academic interest was in obstetrics, having completed a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at the University of South Florida. Subsequent to that, Dr. Williams has concentrated his academic efforts toward gynecology and primary care for women and is published in the areas of cancer detection, menopausal therapy, contraception, and evidence-based medicine.
Over the last 15 years Dr. Williams has given invited lectures on contraception and menopause in the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Demark, Brazil, and Singapore.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Evidence-based medicine
- Cervical cancer screening
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Explain evidence-based approaches to disease management
- Provide an update on some of the newer treatment regimens for diabetes
- Review the role of unstable coronary artery plaque as a cause of acute cardiac death
- Discuss the more frequent incidence of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease in individuals with migraine with aura
- Review the medications that are associated with osteoporosis
- Analyze the role of calcium and Vitamin D for bone health
- Recognize the risk of sexually transmitted infections after a single unprotected sexual encounter
- Review the role of expedited partner therapy in the treatment and prevention of STDs
- Discuss the risk factors and clinical presentations of cardiovascular disease in women compared to men
- Identify the America Diabetic Association diagnostic guidelines for the diagnosis of Prediabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, the Joint National Committee on Hypertension (8) guidelines for blood pressure and the National Cholesterol Education Program III guidelines for lipid treatment in women
- Appreciate the clinical nuances and differences between mono-polar and bipolar depression
- Provide an overview of the benefits and limitations of the various medication classes presently available to treat mono-polar and bipolar depression disorders
- Review the similarities and differences between migraine, tension, cluster, and sinus headache in adults and children
- Discuss the pharmacologic therapies for migraine including "abortive" and "preventative" therapy
- Recognize the prevalence and risk factors associated with osteoporosis
- Emphasize the lifestyle and therapeutic options for the prevention of osteoporosis
- Review the clinical features of the more common sexually transmitted diseases
- Discuss the rational use of pharmacologic agents for the treatment of common STDs, excluding AIDS, following the most recent guidelines of the Center of Disease Control
- Understand the recent controversies in hormonal contraception
- Describe changes in the management of an abnormal Pap test
- Formulate a strategy for menopausal therapy
- Define a medical approach to abnormal uterine bleeding
- Apply basic evidence-based principals to the clinical material present at this conference
- Determine the risks and benefits of hormonal therapies for menopausal woman and be able to separate the science from the media hype.
- Determine the risks and benefits of hormonal contraception and be able to separate absolute risk from relative risk
- Interpret the new algorithms for cervical cancer screening
- Treat abnormal uterine bleeding with new tools recently available to primary care providers
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Fri Aug 18||Seattle, Washington
|Sat Aug 19||At Sea - Cruising
|Sun Aug 20||The Inside Passage - Scenic cruising
|Sun Aug 20||Juneau, Alaska
||12:00 pm||9:00 pm|
|Mon Aug 21||Skagway, Alaska
||7:00 am||8:30 pm|
|Tue Aug 22||Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Scenic Cruising
||7:00 am||12:00 pm|
|Wed Aug 23||At Sea - Cruising
|Thu Aug 24||Victoria, Canada
||9:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri Aug 25||Seattle, Washington
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.