Medical Ethics and Legal Medicine
7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip Fort Lauderdale, FL
September 2 - 9, 2017
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
CLE may be available
2 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
S. Sandy Sanbar was born in Haifa, Israel. He earned a BS (with Distinction) in Biology and a M.D. (with Distinction) at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon. He did a Residency in Internal Medicine at the Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, and earned a PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma, while working as a Cardiovascular Research Trainee, Oklahoma Medical Research Institute in Oklahoma City. He completed his Residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, before becoming a Postdoctoral Cardiovascular Fellow then Research Cardiovascular Associate of the Ontario Heart Foundation and Clinical Assistant in the Department of Internal Medicine, at the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Dr. Sandbar returned with his family to Ann Arbor, Michigan, as a United States immigrant, served as a Cardiovascular Fellow of the Michigan Heart Association and an Instructor in Internal Medicine, then Advanced Cardiovascular Research Fellow of the American Heart Association and Assistant Professor, Hypertension Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan. His J.D. degree is from Oklahoma City University.
He was inducted in the U.S. Army Medical Corps as a Captain and was promoted to Major, while at Fitzsimmons General Hospital, Denver, Colorado. Finally, Sanbar was promoted to LT. Colonel while serving in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, U.S. Army Hospital, Danang, Vietnam. He was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for his efforts in Vietnam prior to being Honorably Discharged on July 4, 1970.
Since 1970's, he has practiced in Oklahoma City both as an Attorney at Law and Specialist in Internal Medicine and Cardiology. Sanbar is a Past President of the American College of Legal Medicine (1989-1990) and he has received numerous Awards, including Gold Medal Award (2000) and Distinguished Service Award (2007) of the American College of Legal Medicine. In 2007, he was elected as the Chairman of the American Board of Legal Medicine (ABLM), and President of the American Board of Medical Malpractice (ABMM). He is a Diplomate of both the ABLM and the ABMM. He performed Consultative Examinations (for 6 ½ years) then served as a Medical Consultant (2 ½ years) for the Department of Disability Services, Social Security Administration in Oklahoma City. Since March 2008, Sanbar has been in private practice in Oklahoma City.
Sanbar is a prolific author of over 200 articles, and author or editor of eleven Books. His books include Hyperlipidemia & Hyperlipoproteinemia; Medical and Hospital Law; Editor, LEGAL MEDICINE, seven Editions from 1987- 2007; Editor. MEDICAL MALPRACTICE SURVIVAL HANDBOOK, 2007; and Editor, ABLM BOARD REVIEW EXAM & STUDY GUIDE, 2007. He publishes a monthly article for the LAW AND MEDICINE section of the Oklahoma County Medical Society publication, the BULLETIN. He is a member of the Oklahoma Bar, the Oklahoma County Bar, the Oklahoma State Medical Association and the Oklahoma County Medical Society. He is a State, National and International Lecturer on Legal Medicine and Medical Malpractice, and he generally serves as Seminar Program Chairman. He is married to Dorothy J. Sanbar, an Oklahoman, and has two children and three grandchildren.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
LEGAL MEDICINE & MEDICAL ETHICS
- WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
- ABLM-UAS Seminar Program
- Welcome Cruise Seminar Attendees
- Glossary of Legal Medicine Terms
- ETHICS & BIOETHICS - 1 Hour
- Medical Ethics Topics, Professionalism, and Communication
- Ethics and Bioethics
- Medscape Ethics Questionnaire
- REGULATION OF MEDICAL PRACTICE - Overview of State and Federal Laws - 2 Hours
- Medical Education and Licensing
- Peer Review, Credentialing, and Privileging
- Health Care Professional Impairment
- HIPAA HITECH
- HIPAA - FAQs
- EMTALA (03-f_Slides)
- OSHA (03-g_Slides)
- Affordable Care Act and ACOs - Legal Concerns
- Affordable Care Act and ACOs - Legal Concerns
- ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS (EHR) versus ELECTRONIC MEDICAL RECORDS (EMR) - 1 Hour
- Meaningful Use Stages I, 2 (2014) and 3 (2016)
- Electronic Informed Consent
- EHR Malpractice Liability
- EHR Spoliation
- END-OF-LIFE DECISIONS - Ethical and Legal Issues -1 Hour
- The Dying Process
- CA_POLST Modified
- Classification of Euthanasia
- Determination of Death Report
- End-of-Life Decisions (05-e_Slides)
- FEDERAL AND STATE REGULATION OF PAIN MANAGEMENT - 1 Hour
- War on Doctors (Part I) - (06-a_pdf)
- War on Doctors (Part II) - (06-b_pdf)
- Legal Aspects of Pain Management AND FDA REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) Program
- MEDICAL AND FORENSIC EXPERT WITNESS AND TESTIMONY - 2 Hour
- Medical Expert Testimony
- Deposition of Expert Witness
- Direct and Cross Examination of Expert at Trial
- Ethical and Legal Aspects of Expert Witness Testimony
- OFFICIAL DISABILITY GUIDELINES AND AMA GUIDES IN WORKERS COMPENSATION AND NON-OCCUPATIONAL INJURIES - 1 Hour
- Medical Evidence in Workers' Compensation Cases
- Evidence Based Medicine and Official Disability Guidelines
- PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL LIABILITY & NURSING MALPRACTICE - 3 Hours
- American Law and Judicial Process
- Medical Negligence: Causes, Prevention and Defenses
- Capacity, Competency, Informed Consent and Informed Refusal
- Hospital Liability, CRNAs, Nurses, PAs and Nurse Practitioners
- Medical Malpractice Stress Syndrome
- So you are sued, what next!
- Fraud and Abuse and Criminal Negligence
- MEDICAL MALPRACTICE MOCK TRIAL - 2 Hours
- MOCK TRIAL: Never Event Medical Error (Video Presentation) 2 Hours
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Sep 02||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Sun Sep 03||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Mon Sep 04||Labadee, Haiti
||8:00 am||4:30 pm|
|Tue Sep 05||Falmouth, Jamaica
||10:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Wed Sep 06||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures: 9:00am-12Noon; 1:00pm-4:00pm
|Thu Sep 07||Cozumel, Mexico
||8:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Fri Sep 08||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Sat Sep 09||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.