Topics in Critical Care and
7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip Fort Lauderdale, FL
November 11 - 18, 2017
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Daniel H. Kett, MD, is the Associate Chief Medical Officer for Critical Care at University of Miami Hospital and a Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami in Miami, Florida. He earned his undergraduate degree at the University of Florida and his medical degree at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
Dr. Kett completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine followed by a fellowship in Critical Care Medicine at Jackson Memorial Hospital. He is the recipient of the Excellence in Teaching Award by the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program.
Dr. Kett has strong clinical and research interests in severe ICU related infections, including invasive candidiasis and healthcare associated pneumonia, and infection control practices in the ICU.
Dr. Kett is an investigator for the Mycoses Study Group, a large multidisciplinary group of researchers with a primary focus on studying serious infections, and is active in several projects related to fungal infections in critically ill patients. Results of his research have been published in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, Lancet Infectious Diseases, Critical Care Medicine, Chest, and the Journal of Intensive Care Medicine. Additionally, Dr. Kett has presented at numerous scientific meetings and has been an invited lecturer at national and international conferences.
Veronica Piziak, MD
Professor of Medicine and Endocrinology, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX
Director of Diabetes Section and Senior Staff Physician, Baylor Scott & White Clinic, Temple, TX
Program Director, Endocrinology Fellowship, Baylor Scott & White, Temple, TX
Emeritus Director of Endocrinology, Baylor Scott & White Clinic, Temple, TX
Dr Piziak is a Professor of Medicine at Texas A&M University and Director of the Diabetes Section and the Endocrinology fellowship at Baylor Scott & White in Temple, Texas. She is the Emeritus Director of Endocrinology at Scott & White. She obtained her PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Massachusetts and her MD at the University of Kentucky.
Her internal Medicine residency training was at Akron Medical Center and her fellowship at the University of Cincinnati. She is board certified in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology and has published over 100 articles in peer reviewed Journals.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Antibiotic Treatment Guidelines: Separating fact from fiction
- Identify for the conference members the discrepancies between current guideline recommendations and the current literature on the subject.
- Realize the important points that impact patient care. The Surviving Sepsis Campaign was recently updated.
- Develop a practice based plan for the use of the available anti-fungal therapies. Currently different organizations vary in their recommendations on when to use the available anti-fungal therapies.
- Practice more evidence based medicine. Current clinical practice in patients with ARDS often does not follow the most recent literature.
- Understand and implement cost effective infection control measures in their practice.
- Critically review the management of acute embolic strokes. Currently different organizations vary in their recommendations on treatment of CVAs and related complications.
- Identify the appropriate transfusion trigger in the critically ill and the risks associated with transfusion
- Also discuss transfusion practices for massive transfusions.
- Discuss the use of new insulin analogs for diabetes
- Discuss the place in your practice for new agents for Type 2 Diabetes
- Discuss who to screen, how to screen and when to start and stop medication for osteoporosis
- Discuss the diagnosis and therapy for adrenal Insufficiency and adrenal overactivity.< /li>
- Discuss the common metabolic bone diseases such as hyperparathyroidism and how to accurately diagnose and manage them
- Discuss the approach to common thyroid diseases including sub-clinical disease
- Discuss the causes and therapy of obesity
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed aanpcert.org/ptistore/control/recert/ce_opps.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Nov 11||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Sun Nov 12||Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Mon Nov 13||Labadee, Haiti
||8:00 am||4:30 pm|
|Tue Nov 14||Falmouth, Jamaica
||10:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Wed Nov 15||Cruising
Lectures: 9:00am-12Noon; 1:00pm-4:00pm
|Thu Nov 16||Cozumel, Mexico
||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri Nov 17||Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Sat Nov 18||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.