8-Day Cuba Cruise Conference
Round-trip Miami, Florida
There is no impact to any of our cruises to Cuba in accordance with U.S. to Cuba travel regulations
May 20 -28, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
5 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr Thomas File is Chair of the Infectious Disease Division at Summa Health System in Akron, Ohio and Professor of Internal Medicine, Master Teacher, and Chair of the Infectious Disease Section at Northeast Ohio Medical University.
After graduating from medical school at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 1972, Dr. File received his Master of Science in medical microbiology from Ohio State University in Columbus, in 1977, where he also completed his fellowship in infectious diseases.
Dr File is Past President of the Board of Directors of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases. He is a Master of the American College of Physicians, a Fellow and past member of the Board of Directors of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), a fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians, and a member of the American Thoracic Society. He is a past Chairperson of the Standards and Practice Guidelines Committee of the IDSA and served as a member of guideline panels on community-acquired pneumonia, Hospital-acquired pneumonia, Influenza, and Sinusitis. He is a past-president of the Infectious Disease Society of Ohio.
Primary research interests that Dr File has pursued include respiratory tract infections, immunizations in adult, soft tissue infections, antimicrobial stewardship, and evaluation of new antimicrobial agents. A frequent lecturer nationally and internationally, he has published more than 250 articles, abstracts, and textbook chapters, focusing on the diagnosis, etiology, and treatment of infectious diseases, especially on respiratory tract infections.
He received the Watanakunakorn Clinician Award from the IDSA in 2013.
He authors sections on community-acquired pneumonia, acute bronchitis, and hospital-acquired pneumonia in UpToDate. He is Editor-in-Chief of Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice.
Michael J. Tan, MD, FACP, FIDSA
Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, Northeast Ohio Medical University
Physician Lead, Summa Health Medical Group-Infectious Disease
Michael J. Tan, MD is Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) in Rootstown, Ohio. At NEOMED, he is co-course director of the Infection and Immunity Course and Vice-Chair of the Infectious Disease Section of the Principles of Medicine Course.
Dr. Tan is Lead Physician for Summa Health Medical Group-Infectious Disease at Summa Health System in Akron, Ohio where he is also Clinical Physician, Infectious Diseases and HIV as well as Medical Director for the Summa Health Clinical Research Center.
Dr. Tan is board certified in infectious disease and internal medicine. He obtained his medical degree from the Northeastern University College of Medicine (now NEOMED) and completed his residency training at Summa Health System. He then completed a fellowship in Infectious Disease at the University of South Florida, Tampa, FL.
Dr. Tan is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP) and Fellow of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). He is Governor for the Ohio Chapter of the American College of Physicians and serves as Chair, Chapters Subcommittee for the College.
Dr. Tan's primary research interests include participation in multi-centered controlled trials of new and novel treatments for Clostridium difficile infection, skin and soft tissue infection, and pneumonia. He is co-editor of Tan JS, File TM Jr., Salata RA, Tan MJ (eds.) Expert Guide to Infectious Diseases, 2nd edition (2008, ACP Press) and Rosenthal KS and Tan MJ (eds.) Rapid Review Microbiology and Immunology 3rd edition (2010, Mosby). Dr. Tan is listed in Best Doctors in America (2010 to present).
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Update Adult Vaccines
- List vaccine preventable infections and their burden of disease
- List appropriate vaccines for adults
- List strategies to increase uptake of adult vaccines
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- List the benefits of stewardship for individual patients and the healthcare system
- List interventions of effective stewardship
- Update Respiratory Tract Infections
- List common pathogens of RTIs
- List appropriate management of RTIs
- Update UTIs
- Differentiate asymptomatic bacteriuria from symptomatic UTIs
- List appropriate antimicrobials for UTIs
- Update STDs
- List appropriate diagnosis and therapy for common SRds
- Emerging Infections
- Define and list recent emerging infections
- Know how to manage a patient with Zika virus infection
- Infectious Disease Pearls
- Review management of common examples of Infectious Diseases
- New Antimicrobial agents
- Review new antimicrobial agents approved within the last two years and update pertinent label changes for selected agents
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis for prevention of Infective endocarditis
- Review current guidelines for the use of antimicrobial prophylaxis in patients at risk for endocarditis
- Infectious issues in patients receiving TNF inhibitors
- List infections associated with TNF inhibitors
- Review appropriateness of vaccination in immunecompromised hosts
- Infections associated with international travel
- Review commonly encountered infections associated with travel, including, Dengue, Chikungunya
- Discuss strategies for pre-trip planning and post-trip evaluation
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Discuss common pathogens associated with skin and soft tissue infections
- Review types of skin infections, necrotizing infections
- Update HIV and HCV for the Primary Care (1.0)
- Discuss recommendations for HIV testing, treatment, concerns for primary care, post-exposure prophylaxis
- Review new treatment options for patients with Hepatitis C infection
- Infectious Disease image and word association
- Emphasize buzzwords and images suggestive of infectious disease processes
- C difficile diarrhea
- Review a hypothetical case of c difficile and common challenges associated with treatment and testing.
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed aanpcert.org/ptistore/control/recert/ce_opps.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Provider ID 217771
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the Academy of General Dentistry Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE) through the joint program provider approval of Jesek Seminars and The University at Sea.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun May 20||Miami, Florida, United States
|Mon May 21||Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Tue May 22||Cruising the Atlantic Ocean
|Wed May 23||Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
||7:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Thu May 24||Cienfuegos, Cuba
||12:00 pm||9:00 pm|
|Fri May 25||Cruising the Caribbean Sea
|Sat May 26||Havana, Cuba
|Sun May 27||Havana, Cuba
|Mon May 28||Miami, FL
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.