Emergency Medicine and Critical Care
7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Conference
from Fort Lauderdale, FL
May 6 - 13, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists & Doctors of Pharmacy
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Professor and Chairman of Emergency Medicine
Case Western Reserve University
Associate Chief Medical Officer for Quality
MetroHealth Medical Center
Dr. Emerman trained in Emergency Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital. He has been Chairman of Emergency Medicine at MetroHealth Medical Center for more than 30 years and served as Chairman of Emergency Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation for 10 years.
Dr. Emerman has been an examiner for the American Board of Emergency Medicine for the past 20 years. He has been an active researcher in the areas of pulmonary and cardiac disease with more than 100 peer reviewed publications. His grants total approximately $2 million. Dr. Emerman has been active in the teaching of Emergency Medicine, having founded the residency program at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio. He has been an active lecturer, providing CME to physicians around the world.
Prof. PV van Heerden, MBBCh, MMed(Anaes), PhD, DA(SA), FFARCSI, FANZCA, FCICM, FJFICMI
Associate Professor of Anaesthesiology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Director, Medical Intensive Care Unit Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Kerem Jerusalem, Israel
Professor van Heerden&apost;s aim throughout his medical career has been to maintain balance between the clinical and academic aspects of his work. His main contribution as an academic in the area of education, outside of his university activities, has been as a strong advocate of the specialty of intensive care medicine, working hard in organisations that promote the development of the specialty and education of intensive care specialists. He served on the board of the Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine for 10 years as communications officer, treasurer, vice censor, censor and dean.
He effectively steered the board of the Joint Faculty during the process of establishing the College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia and New Zealand. He served as the inaugural president of the new college from 2008-2010. This is a body which oversees the training of over 700 intensive care specialists in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Canada, the UK and Ireland. The CICM also looks after the continuing professional development and welfare of over 700 intensive care specialists.
Professor van Heerden has also served on the boards of other august bodies such as the board of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthesia (ANZCA) and the Committee of Presidents of the Medical Colleges of Australia and New Zealand (CPMC) , powerful organizations that oversee specialist training in Australia and New Zealand.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Recognition and assessment of the critically ill patient
- Participants will be able to appreciate the parameters that define a critically ill patient and will be able to describe a general approach to the acute care of these patients.
- New developments in the management of pulmonary hypertension.
- Participants will be able to describe the main elements of the pathophysiology of pulmonary hypertension and describe some of the treatments available.
- The ethics of futility- what is futile care and how do we approach management of the critically ill patient in whom ongoing care is futile.
- After the talk, participants will have the tools to define futile care and be able to discuss the approach to management of terminal critically ill patients.
- Intra-abdominal hypertension (IAH)- what this means in the critically ill patient and how do we manage mechanical ventilation for the patient with IAH.
- This talk provides an approach to the recognition and treatment of intra-abdominal hypertension, as well as an approach to optimal ventilation when IAH is present.
- The problem with evidence-based medicine
- This talk allows the doctor to recognize and appreciate some of the pitfalls and to place evidence-based medicine (EBM) in perspective.
- Strategies to manage the difficult airway.
- This talk provides some strategies to deal with the expected and unexpected difficult airway – participants should have a clear idea of the range of options available when encountering the difficult airway.
- After this talk, the participants should be able to define shock and differentiate between the different types of shock
- Opioid withdrawal and treatment
- Alcohol withdrawal and treatment
- Controversies in acute coronary syndrome
- Treatment of COPD and asthma
- Treatment of pneumonia
- Controversies in cerebrovascular emergencies
- How to give a deposition
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun May 06||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Mon May 07||Nassau, Bahamas
||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Tue May 08||At Sea
|Wed May 09||Cozumel, Mexico
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Thu May 10||Roatan, Honduras (Coxen Hole)
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Fri May 11||Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico
||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Sat May 12||At Sea
|Sun May 13||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.