Topics in Primary Care, Hospice, Palliative Care, Impaired Healthcare Professionals, Hematology, Oncology, and the History of Medicine
10-Night Western Mediterranean Cruise Conference
from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy to Barcelona, Spain
May 7 - 17, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
14 CE Hours for Psychologists
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut
Dr. Kagan earned two Bachelors' Degrees: Biology, and Health Sciences, a Masters' Degree in Physiology, and his M.D. degree. Prior to medical school he was a Certified Physician Assistant. He completed his residency in Primary Care Internal Medicine. He is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine as well a second board certification in Hospice and Palliative Care Medicine. He is also a Certified Medical Director (CMD) for Long Term Care by AMDA.
Dr. Kagan is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. He currently teaches medical students, internal medicine residents and geriatric fellows.
Dr. Kagan is frequently called upon by his peers regarding the Business Aspects and Practice Management of Medicine, and is a member of the Editorial Board of Medical Economics. He has done consulting for attorneys, insurance, pharmaceutical and wealth management companies. In addition to his busy private primary care practice, Dr. Kagan is currently the medical director of a skilled nursing facility, a hospice agency, and a home health agency. He is a Professional Director with HAVEN, an agency that advocates and monitors impaired health professionals.
Dr. Kagan's special interests include: Diving Medicine, Business Aspects of Practice, Medical Legal Cases and Risk Management. His hobbies include: Bicycling, Boating, Scuba diving, Golf and Skiing.
Robert Koch, MD, PhD, MBA
St. James's Hospital
Letterkenny Regional Cancer Center
Geisinger Medical Center
Dr. Robert Koch is board certified Internist and Medical Oncologist with experience in clinical practice, academics, laboratory and clinical research, as a medical director in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, education and business.
He has been fortunate to have had many varied experiences in the medical field and he has held appointments in New Zealand, Ireland and the United States. He has enjoyed teaching at several levels.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Be comfortable screening, diagnosing and treating Osteoporosis with the medications available.
- Be familiar with the work up and treatment and how to distinguish the various causes of Dementia
- Choosing Wisely
- Become familiar with the judicious ordering of tests and procedures
- Case Studies in Primary Care
- Participate in an interactive session to try and diagnose some common diseases with atypical presentations.
- Hospice and Palliative Care
- To understand Hospice and Palliative care, how it works and who is appropriate with case studies
- Common Outpatient Presentations in Primary Care
- Learn to evaluate and treat some common outpatient problems without having to refer to a specialist
- Impaired Health Care Providers
- Become familiar with Impaired Health Care Providers and how to help them
- Blood: History and Oxygen Carriers as Alternatives to RBC Transfusions
- Summarize the key historical events leading to our current use of blood products and how these events are impacting the development of alternative oxygen carriers including artificial blood.
- Transfusion Reactions, Identification, Management and Prevention
- Recognize signs and symptoms associated with transfusion reactions.
- Discuss the broad categories of transfusion reactions and explain steps taken to minimize their occurrence.
- Genome Editing: Challenges, Implications and Ethical Concerns
- Explain the mechanism for removing and replacing mutated disease causing genes and the potential therapeutic impact and ethical challenges of this emerging technology.
- Cancer Screening Update
- Utilize current updated cancer screening recommendations in appropriate asymptomatic patient populations.
- Recent Therapeutic Advances in Cancer Care
- Define the principles and examples of cancer immunotherapy, molecular targeting and emerging cancer treatments.
- Medical Marijuana: Risks, Benefits and Adverse Events
- Outline the function of the endocannabinoid system, analyze the pharmacology of cannabinoids and describe indications, side effects and chronic effects of cannabinoid use.
- Global Epidemics: History, Lessons Learned and Predictability
- Name key global epidemics, examine their impact on health care and assess the potential for predicting future outbreaks.
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Mon May 07||Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
|Tue May 08|| Naples (Capri), Italy
||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Wed May 09|| Catania, Sicily
||10:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Thu May 10||Valletta, Malta
||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri May 11||At Sea
|Sat May 12||Palma De Mallorca, Spain
||9:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Sun May 13||Cartagena, Spain
||8:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Mon May 14|| Gibraltar, United Kingdom
||2:30 pm||10:00 pm|
|Tue May 15||At Sea
|Wed May 16|| Barcelona, Spain
|Thu May 17|| Barcelona, Spain
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.