Topics in Geriatrics and Sports Medicine
7-Night Greek Isles Cruise Conference
from Venice, Italy to Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
July 7 - 14, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
3 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Dickman was the founding Chair of Family Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine and the inaugural Jaharis Family Chair of Family Medicine from 2001-2009. Dr Dickman has also been very active in Geriatric Medicine since its inception in the US in the mid 1980's. He has been a fellow in the American Geriatrics Society since 1985 and been certified in geriatrics since 1988. Dr Dickman has lectured and published widely in the areas of geriatric medicine and medical ethics with a particular interest in overmedication in the elderly. He is currently an attending physician at Hebrew Senior Life, a large Harvard affiliated geriatric care program with multiple sites in the Boston area.
Carlos R. Rodriguez, MD, FAAFP, CAQSM
Director Sports Medicine Fellowship, Bayfront Health Saint Petersburg, Florida
Assistant Director Family Medicine Residency Program, Bayfront Health Saint Petersburg, Florida
Asistant Medical Director AllSports Medicine Program, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, Saint Petersburg, Florida
Affiliate Assistant Professor Department of Family Medicine, University of South Florida Morsani School of Medicine, Tampa, Florida
Dr. Rodriguez is the Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship and Assistant Director to the Family Residency Program at Bayfront Health Saint Petersburg. He is also Assistant Medical Director of the sports medicine program at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital. Dr. Rodriguez received his B.A. in Biology from Harvard University in 1989. He completed his medical degree at the Rosalind Franklin University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School in North Chicago, IL in 1993. Following medical school Dr. Rodriguez completed a General Surgery Internship at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, VA. He then joined the United States Navy where he served as General Medical Officer from 1994 to 1997. After completing his active duty commitment he remained in the United States Naval Reserve until 2002 when he was Honorably Discharged.
Dr. Rodriguez completed his Family Medicine Residency Program at The Medical Center of Central Georgia/Mercer University School of Medicine in 2001 where he served as Chief Resident during his final year and received the Resident Teacher Award. He then proceeded to complete a fellowship in Sports Medicine at Bayfront Medical Center. After finishing the fellowship program Dr. Rodriguez remained in the Tampa Bay area in private practice and later joined Community Health Centers of Pinellas where he served as Director of the Family Medicine Department.
Dr. Rodriguez has served as a team physician and provided medical coverage for many of our local sports. These activities include the Tampa Bay Rays, Eckerd College and University of South Florida sports, St. Anthony's Triathlon, St. Petersburg Parrots (Hockey), Seminole High School, Indian Rocks Christian School, St. Petersburg Pelicans (Rugby) and the Tampa Bay Storm. He also covers local club sports for the Chargers Soccer Club and the Tampa Bay Jr. Lightning League. He is the medical director of the Sprint Tri-Athlon series in St. Petersburg. He is also a licensed professional ringside physician and provides medical coverage for professional boxing and mixed martial arts in Florida.
Dr. Rodriguez has published sports medicine articles in FP Essentials, Florida Family Physician and ACSMs Health and Fitness Journals. He is an editorial member of the AAFPs FP Essentials. He is also in the faculty for University at Sea providing sports medicine CME courses.
Dr. Rodriguez is a diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine and holds a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, a member of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians, the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine, the Pinellas County Medical Association, and the Association of Ringside Physicians.
Dr. Rodriguez is married and has three children. His oldest daughter attends Florida State University. He enjoys playing basketball and tennis but loves to spend his spare time watching his children participate in sports.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- New recommendations for concussion evaluation and treatment
- Describe current recommendations regarding concussion management
- Determine and develop appropriate return to play guidelines
- Sudden cardiac death: Recognizing cardiac conditions in the young athlete
- Recognize ECG changes associated with sudden cardiac death
- Recognize and identify athletes at high risk for sudden cardiac death
- Running injuries of the lower extremity
- Discuss risks factors, signs and symptoms associated with running injuries of the lower extremity
- Implement appropriate treatments plans for these injuries.
- Creaking Bones and Aching Muscles: Exercise prescription for the elderly
- Understand the physiologic changes with aging
- Discuss the benefits of exercising in the elderly population
- Learn the indications for EST screening in patients about to begin an exercise program
- Learn how to write an exercise prescription
- The pre-participation physical examination current guidelines and controversies
- Discuss the primary and secondary purposes of the Pre-participation Physical Examination (PPE)
- Understand the cardiovascular requirements of the PPE
- Identify causes that may prevent an athlete from clearance during the initial PPE
- Discuss current controversies surrounding the performance of the PPE in its current form
- Performance enhancing substances and supplements use in sports
- Identify current supplements and performance enhancing drugs currently used in sports
- Develop strategies to address the use of performance enhancing drugs in athletes and discuss their harms
- Joint injections
- Understand indications,risks, and contraindications of joint injections.
- Recognize and understand the use of different types of medications and approaches used in joint injections
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Jul 07||Venice, Italy
|Sun Jul 08||Dubrovnik, Croatia
||1:00 pm||7:00 pm|
|Mon Jul 09||Kerkyra (Corfu), Greece
||9:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Tue Jul 10||Santorini, Greece
||2:00 pm||9:00 pm|
|Wed Jul 11||Mykonos, Greece
||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Thu Jul 12||At Sea - Cruising
|Fri Jul 13||Naples (Pompeii/Salerno/Capri), Italy
||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Sat Jul 14||Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.