Topics in Primary Care and Rheumatology
7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip San Juan, Puerto Rico
October 27 - November 3, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine
University of Florida
Dr. Gums is a Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine in the Departments of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research and Community Health and Family Medicine at the University of Florida. Additionally, he holds the title of Associate Dean for Clinical and Administrative Affairs in the College of Pharmacy. He received his undergraduate degree in pharmacy from the University of Wisconsin and his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the Medical University of South Carolina. Subsequently, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Family Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Gums is actively involved in teaching both in the College of Pharmacy and the College of Medicine. He has received the Faculty Recognition Award from the College of Pharmacy, Exemplary Teacher Award from the College of Medicine, and twice was selected as Teacher of the Year by the University of Florida, Department of Family Medicine.
He has authored over 175 peered-review articles, 22 continuing education programs, and 22 book chapters. He has given over 90 invited presentations to national and international pharmacy and medical associations. He maintains an active clinical research program and is currently an investigator on a 5-year NIH trial evaluating the impact of a centralized cardiovascular risk service (MED-FOCUS).
Dr. Gums maintains membership in ASHP, AACP, and ACCP. He is a member of the Family Medicine Editorial Advisory Council for the Annals of Pharmacotherapy, and is a Scientific Editor for the journal Pharmacotherapy. In 1993, he was appointed by the governor as a member of the State of Florida Pharmacy Services and Technical Review panel. In 1997, he received the Outstanding Clinical Practice Award from ACCP. In 2002, Dr. Gums was selected to represent both AACP and ACCP as a Primary Health Care Policy Fellow through the office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services in Washington DC. And in 2007, he was elected as a Fellow in the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
Nicole Melendez, MD, FACR
Affiliate Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine (Voluntary Faculty)
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Nicole Melendez graduated from St Matthews University, completed her Internal Medicine residency at the University of Missouri- Columbia and her Rheumatology fellowship at Louisiana State University. She is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology. Dr Melendez has been practicing in the Tampa Bay area since 2009, working as a hospitalist, as well as in the ED but practicing strictly rheumatology since 2011. Her work interest lies in inflammatory arthritis, particularly rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.
She has been voluntary staff in the rheumatology department at the University of South Florida since 2015 and has been active in clinical trials for the past several years. In addition to her love of rheumatology Dr Melendez also has an interest in nutrition and diet and it's ability to impact disease states and she is currently pursuing a certification in Culinary Medicine from Tulane University.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Primary Care Treatment of Essential Hypertension: A 2018 Update
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to customize their treatment approach in the essential hypertension patient and maximize the percent of patients treated who reach goal blood pressure.
- Atrial Fibrillation: What the Primary Care Practitioner Needs to Know
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to discuss the newest information regarding atrial fibrillation and describe the role of anti-arrhythmics in the management of the disease.
- Thromboembolic Disease in Primary Care: Focus on the New Anticoagulants
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to discuss the role of the new oral anticoagulants and describe any relevant differences between the available agents.
- Asthma and COPD: New Recommendations and Treatment Options
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to discuss the new recommendations for treatment of patients with asthma and COPD.
- Primary Care Treatment of Urinary Tract Infections in the era of Increasing Bacterial Resistance
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to discuss the treatment options for UTIís in the era of increasing antimicrobial resistance
- Antimicrobial Resistance: Implications for the Primary Care Provider
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to describe the impact of antimicrobial resistance in both gram-negative and gram-positive infections and discuss treatment strategies for common infections.
- Osteoporosis: Review of Guidelines and New Therapeutic Options
- Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to describe the new National Osteoporosis Guidelines and how the recommendations will impact the treatment and prevention strategies in their patients with osteopenia or osteoporosis.
- Gout - Management and where we fall short
- Better manage acute flairs and improve confidence with chronic gout treatment
- Back pain - is it inflammatory
- Identify different presentations of mechanical versus inflamatory back pain
- Recognize the dianostic criteria, lab test and potential triggers for flairs
- Monitoring of Rheumatology Drugs -what to watch out for
- Inform practitioners of common and not so common potential side effects and risks of drugs
- Labs and Radiology and their limitations
- Assess labs and radiology results especially in initial work-up
- Clinical approach to Rheumatic Diisease
- Identifying Arthritis vs. other Musculoskeletal pain and how to work it up
- The Pregnant Patient
- Manage the unique challenges seen in Pregnant Rheumatologic Patients
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Oct 27||San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Sun Oct 28||St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Mon Oct 29||Philisburg, St. Maarten
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Tue Oct 30||Roseau, Dominica
|8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Wed Oct 31||Bridgetown, Barbados
|8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Thu Nov 01||St. George's , Grenada
|8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Fri Nov 02||At Sea
Lectures: 8-Noon; 1:00pm-5:00pm
|Sat Nov 03||San Juan, Puerto Rico
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.