Topics in Addiction Medicine, Mental Health, Obesity, and Sports Medicine
7-Night Eastern Caribbean Holiday Cruise Conference
Round-trip Fort Lauderdale, FL
December 23 - 30, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
6 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Edward Fisher received his BA in Biology and PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and his BS in Pharmacy at Temple University College of Pharmacy. His current position is Professor and Dean, College of Pharmacy, Marshall B. Ketchum University, 2575 Yorba Linda Blvd., Fullerton, California.
Dr. Fisher has been granted tenure at three different universities. His first academic position was at Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy where he was promoted to Associate Professor. Subsequently, he went on to help start up three new colleges of pharmacy Midwestern University-Glendale College of Pharmacy as Professor and Inaugural Department Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The Daniel K Inouye College of Pharmacy, University of Hawaii at Hilo, as Professor and Associate Dean.
He also served as the Director of the MS in Clinical Psychopharmacology program. His current position is Professor and Dean, College of Pharmacy, Marshall B. Ketchum University, 2575 Yorba Linda Blvd., Fullerton, California.
Dr Fisher is licensed as a pharmacist in Arizona and Pennsylvania, and has practiced in a variety of clinical settings. He has devised and presented over 100 continuing education seminars and innovative NSF sponsored short courses. He is a past National Secretary of Rho Chi, the only pharmacy honor society, and recipient of the National Rho Chi Advisor of the Year award. In addition to his administrative responsibilities, he currently plans to continue teaching in his areas of expertise which includes: substances of abuses, nutrition, and the pharmacotherapy of mental disorders.
Deepak Patel, MD, FAAFP, FACSM
Director of Sports Medicine, Rush-Copley Family Medicine Residency, Aurora, IL
Assistant Professor, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL
Medical Director, Rush-Copley Sports Medicine, Aurora, IL
Family Medicine and Sports Medicine, Yorkville Primary Care and Sports Medicine, Aurora and Yorkville, IL
Dr. Patel practices family and sports medicine at Yorkville Primary Care and Sports Medicine in Yorkville, IL and is the Medical Director for Rush Copley Sports Medicine in Aurora, IL. He is also Director of Sports Medicine for Rush Copley Family Medicine Residency and Assistant Professor at Rush Medical College in Chicago.
He has authored, mentored, and served as section editor for several publications and textbooks on sports medicine topics. Dr. Patel has been honored with multiple teaching awards and speaking invitations. He has presented on sports medicine topics at the annual AAFP Scientific Assembly (now FMX) and numerous other CME events at national and regional levels. With his passion for teaching and his combination of family and sports medicine experience, he's uniquely able to deliver effective presentations to a primary care audience.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Overview of substance use disorders (addiction) and diversion: epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis and pharmacological and pharmacokinetic properties of commonly abused substances - Part one:
- Describe the scope of the problem of substance-related disorders (substance use, abuse, diversion)
- Overview of substance use disorders (addiction) and diversion: epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis and pharmacological and pharmacokinetic properties of commonly abused substances - Part two, and Consequences and Prevention of Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Distinguish the changes to diagnostic criteria between DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5 for substance-use disorders
- Pharmacotherapy for Substance Use Disorders - Ethanol, Nicotine, and Opioids
- Compare and contrast the efficacy of drugs used to treat substance use disorders
- Obesity and weight control including pharmacotherapy for both OTC and prescription drugs
- Compare and contrast the efficacy of drugs used for the short- and long-term treatment of obesity.
- Knee examination workshop
- Select the most effective and evidence based physical examination tests to establish the diagnosis for knee pain
- Shoulder examination workshop
- Select the most effective and evidence based physical examination tests to establish the diagnosis for shoulder pain
- Ankle injuries and workshop
- Utilize evidence based examination tests to evaluate ankle injuries
- Hip pain evaluation and management
- Select physical examination test to evaluate hip pain
- Select evidence based treatments for tendonitis
- Determine medical clearance and return to play recommendations following a concussion
- MSK imaging
- Educate patients on indications and limitations of MRI
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Dec 23||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Mon Dec 24||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon; 1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Tue Dec 25||At Sea - Cruising
|Wed Dec 26||Philipsburg, St. Maarten
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Thu Dec 27||San Juan, Puerto Rico
||7:00 am||3:00 pm|
|Fri Dec 28||Labadee, Haiti
||9:30 am||6:00 pm|
|Sat Dec 29||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures: 8:00am - 12 Noon; 1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Sun Dec 30||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.