Medical Ethics and Legal Medicine
7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip San Juan, Puerto Rico
April 14 - 21, 2019
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
CLE may be available
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Director of Neuroradiology, Mercy Diagnostic Imaging
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital
Dr. Brooks is a neuroradiologist practicing in Philadelphia. Dr. Brooks is a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College (now Drexel University College of Medicine) who completed a Diagnostic Radiology residency at Mercy Catholic Medical Center, in Darby, PA. Following residency, he completed a Neuroradiology fellowship at the Harvard Medical School/Brigham and Women's Hospital and worked as an Instructor at Harvard Medical School and Staff Neuroradiologist at Brigham and Women's Hospital before returning to Philadelphia in 1988. From 1988 to 1998, Dr Brooks was Associate Director of the Graduate Hospital Imaging Center and Neuroradiologist for The Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia. Since 1998 Dr. Brooks has been the Director of Neuroradiology for Mercy Medical Imaging,now Mercy Diagnostic Imaging, where he is involved on a daily basis teaching Radiology and Neurosurgery residents and medical students at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital and Mercy Hospital of Philadelphia. In 2006, Dr. Brooks received his JD from the Temple University, Beasley School of Law and was admitted to the Bar in Pennsylvania in 2007. In 2007, Dr. Brooks was voted one of the "Top Doctors" in Radiology on the main line in Main Line Today magazine.
Dr. Brooks has been providing expert witness reviews for plaintiff and defense law firms and insurance companies in PA, NJ, and DE since 1995. He also regularly lectures to attorneys and insurance professionals on the topics of spine and brain imaging. Dr. Brooks has provided both substantive and ethics CLE lectures to attorneys in PA and lectured at the Temple University, Beasley School of Law on expert witness ethics and testimony and understanding and overcoming bias in testimony.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
14 Hours CME (2 Hours Ethics)
CLE, Dental and Nursing Contact Hours
- ETHICS & BIOETHICS 1 Hour
- Bioethics, Professionalism, and Communication
- Fetal Interests, Abortion and Stem Cell Research
- Licensing, Credentialing, Privileging and Impairment Issues
- HIPAA, EMTALA, and Other Federal Mandates
- Affordable Care Act and Accountable Care Organizations
- Fraud and Abuse and Criminal Negligence
- Current State of Implementation of Health Information Technology (HIT)
- Meaningful Use Stages I, 2 (2014) and 3 (2016)
- Electronic Informed Consent
- EHR Malpractice Liability
- The Dying Process
- Classification of Euthanasia
- Physician Aid in Dying and Hospice Care
- Determination of Death
- Controlled Substances Act Standard of Pain Treatment
- REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) Program
- Monitoring Programs and Disposal of controlled substances
- Pain Management State Guidelines, Laws and Rules
- Addiction, Death and Pain Malpractice
- Federal and State Rules of Evidence Governing Expert Witnesses
- Deposition of Expert Witness
- Direct and Cross Examination of Expert at Trial
- Daubert Challenges of Experts
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Official Disability Guidelines
- Rating Impairment under AMA Guides
- Return to Work Guidelines
- American Law and Judicial Process
- Medical Negligence: Causes, Prevention and Defenses
- Spoliation of Evidence in Medical Records
- Capacity, Competency, Informed Consent and Informed Refusal
- Liability of MCOs, ACOs, Hospitals, CRNAs, Nurses, PAs and Nurse Practitioners
- Malpractice Case Presentations
- MOCK TRIAL: Never Event Medical Error
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Apr 14||San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Mon Apr 15||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures 8:00 am-12 Noon; 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
|Tue Apr 16||Willemstad, Curacao
||7:00 am||8:00 pm|
|Wed Apr 17||Oranjestad, Aruba
||7:00 am||11:00 pm|
|Thu Apr 18||Kralendijk, Bonaire
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri Apr 19||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures 8:00 am-12 Noon; 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
|Sat Apr 20||Philipsburg, St. Maarten
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Sun Apr 21||San Juan, Puerto Rico
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.