Medical Ethics and Legal Medicine
7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip Port Canaveral, FL
November 3 - 10, 2019
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
CLE may be available
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Richard Kelly is a physician-attorney educated at Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley and UCSF. He is a member of the medical faculty at the University of California in Irvine where the Orange County Medical Association recently named him one of its 2017 Physicians of Excellence.
Dr. Kelly studied biochemistry and theology as an undergraduate at Harvard. After graduation, he studied public health at U.C. Berkeley on a full scholarship. At Stanford, Dr. Kelly pursued dual professional degrees in Law and Medicine followed by an internship, residency, and fellowship at UCSF. After years in private practice, Dr. Kelly returned to academics and now teaches general and cardiothoracic anesthesiology to residents.
Dr. Kelly's expertise goes beyond the operating room. With a J.D. from Stanford and an M.P.H. from U.C. Berkeley, Dr. Kelly lectures nationally and internationally on topics of Health Policy, Ethics, and Professionalism. He holds an appointment as the Editor-in-Chief of The Journal of Legal Medicine.
An expert in anesthesiology with an interest in all things legal, Dr. Kelly has a comprehensive understanding of the performance expectations of an anesthesiologist; an understanding of the law of medical malpractice; and a keen sense of the pace of civil litigation. With an established reputation and recognizable academic credentials, Dr. Kelly serves as an occasional expert witness for plaintiff and defense counsel.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
14 Hours CME (2 Hours Ethics)
CLE, Dental and Nursing Contact Hours
- ETHICS & BIOETHICS 1 Hour
- Bioethics, Professionalism, and Communication
- Fetal Interests, Abortion and Stem Cell Research
- Licensing, Credentialing, Privileging and Impairment Issues
- HIPAA, EMTALA, and Other Federal Mandates
- Affordable Care Act and Accountable Care Organizations
- Fraud and Abuse and Criminal Negligence
- Current State of Implementation of Health Information Technology (HIT)
- Meaningful Use Stages I, 2 (2014) and 3 (2016)
- Electronic Informed Consent
- EHR Malpractice Liability
- The Dying Process
- Classification of Euthanasia
- Physician Aid in Dying and Hospice Care
- Determination of Death
- Controlled Substances Act Standard of Pain Treatment
- REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) Program
- Monitoring Programs and Disposal of controlled substances
- Pain Management State Guidelines, Laws and Rules
- Addiction, Death and Pain Malpractice
- Federal and State Rules of Evidence Governing Expert Witnesses
- Deposition of Expert Witness
- Direct and Cross Examination of Expert at Trial
- Daubert Challenges of Experts
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Official Disability Guidelines
- Rating Impairment under AMA Guides
- Return to Work Guidelines
- American Law and Judicial Process
- Medical Negligence: Causes, Prevention and Defenses
- Spoliation of Evidence in Medical Records
- Capacity, Competency, Informed Consent and Informed Refusal
- Liability of MCOs, ACOs, Hospitals, CRNAs, Nurses, PAs and Nurse Practitioners
- Malpractice Case Presentations
- MOCK TRIAL: Never Event Medical Error
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Nov 03||Port Canaveral, Florida
|Mon Nov 04||At Sea
Lectures 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Tue Nov 05||Labadee, Haiti
||7:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Wed Nov 06||Falmouth, Jamaica
||9:30 am||6:00 pm|
|Thu Nov 07||At Sea
Lectures 9:00am - 12 noon; 1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Fri Nov 08||Cozumel, Mexico
||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Sat Nov 09||At Sea
Lectures 8:00am - 12 Noon
|Sun Nov 10||Port Canaveral, FL
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.