Dealing With Disability - a Medical-Legal Approach &
Topics in Family Medicine
7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip San Juan, Puerto Rico
January 6 - 13, 2019
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
4 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Hyman is an internist with more than 25 years of experience and head of HymanHealth, which is located on the Westside of Los Angeles, California. A nationally recognized disability expert, Dr. Hyman provides medical-legal evaluations spanning the continuum of internal medicine for a wide variety of legal and insurance organizations. He has evaluated hundreds of workers' compensation patients around the country - from NFL players to everyday workers - providing credible and thorough diagnoses, depositions and documentation, often using the state-of-science technology found in his office.
Dr. Hyman had served for 30 years as an Associate Professor on the clinical faculty at the University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA). He pursued medical school, internship, residency and fellowship at UCLA. Dr. Hyman is a highly sought-after lecturer, including being the keynote speaker for annual State level meetings, He has authored various medical-legal and internal medicine topics. He has served as editor for the Internal Medicine section of the Medical Disability Advisor, Fifth and Seventh Editions. Much of his work can be found in prestigious peer-reviewed journals including the Annals of Internal Medicine, the Journal of the American Medical Association, the Archives of Neurology, the American Family Physician, and the Journal of Occupational Environmental Medicine. Dr. Hyman is a chapter author and editor for numerous American Medical Association (AMA) books including:
- A Physician's Guide to Return to Work
- Guides to Disease and Injury Causation
- Guides to Functional Capacity Evaluations
- Guides Transition Book
- Guides to Navigating Disability Benefit Systems
- Guides 6th edition and accompanying Internal Medicine Workbook
Dr. Hyman has received acclaim for his contributions to the medical world. In 2009, WebMD selected Dr. Hyman for its annual "Health Heroes" award. In addition, the City of Los Angeles recognized his involvement with the LA Police Department related to developing police arrest procedures.
David S. Kountz, MD, MBA, FACP
Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for Diversity and Equity
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Vice President, Academic Affairs, Jersey Shore University Medical Center (JSUMC)
Co-Chief Academic Officer, Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH)
Dr. David Kountz is Vice President, Academic Affairs for JSUMC in Neptune, New Jersey and Co-Chief Academic Officer for Hackensack Meridian Health. He is also Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for Diversity and Equity at the Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, which is scheduled to matriculate its first class in the summer of 2018.
Dr. Kountz earned his AB at Princeton, MD at SUNY/Buffalo School of Medicine, and MBA from Georgian Court University. He completed residency training in Internal Medicine at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia. Dr. Kountz was a member of the faculty at Hahnemann, Temple, and Robert Wood Johnson Medical Schools with progressive responsibilities prior to joining Jersey Shore in 2007.
Dr. Kountz serves on the Board of Directors for the Alliance for Independent Medical Centers the Board of Trustees for Georgian Court University and is a member of the Steering Committee of the Group on Resident Affairs of the AAMC. Dr. Kountz has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters, editorials and abstracts, as well as serving as Principal Investigator, Co-Principal Investigator, or Co-Investigator on more than 20 grants, including a current grant with the Nicholson Foundation to address behavioral health needs in primary care settings. In 2002 Dr. Kountz was elected to the Stuart D. Cook, MD Master Educator Guild of Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Hypertension Update 2019
- Discuss current guidelines regarding hypertension treatment goals
- Review new clinical trials that have influenced guidelines and expert opinion
- Hypertension in African Americans
- To understand the prevalence of hypertension in African Americans
- To review social determinants of health which impact on effective treatment in this population
- Hypertension Urgencies and Emergencies: Case Studies
- To define hypertension urgencies and emergencies
- To demonstrate treatment approaches to commonly seen problems using a case-based approach
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Primer for Primary Care Clinicians
- Review the role of the primary care clinician in the co-management of rheumatoid arthritis
- Describe the role of disease-modifying drugs (DMARDs) on the clinical course of rheumatoid arthritis
- Identifying and Managing Low Health Literacy
- Understand which patient groups are at greatest risk for low health literacy
- Appreciate the role that low health literacy plays on health outcomes
- Review a simple intervention to identify the low health literacy patient
- Physician Wellness and Resilience: Old Problem, New Urgency
- To define physician wellness and the impact of physician stress on physicians and their patients
- To describe new interventions to help physicians cope with wellness issues.
- Preoperative Assessment of Cardiac Risk in Non-Cardiac Surgery
- To appreciate causes of perioperative cardiac events
- To understand which patients require preoperative assessment
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Jan 06||San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Mon Jan 07||Basseterre, St. Kitts
||9:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Tue Jan 08||St. John's, Antigua
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Wed Jan 09||Castries, St. Lucia
||9:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Thu Jan 10||Bridgetown, Barbados
||8:00 am||7:00 pm|
|Fri Jan 11||At Sea
|Sat Jan 12||Philipsburg, St. Maarten
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Sun Jan 13||San Juan, Puerto Rico
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.