Topics in Sports Medicine and Infectious Diseases
7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip Fort Lauderdale, FL
February 17 - 24, 2019
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists & Doctors of Pharmacy
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Congeni received his medical degree from The Ohio State University College of Medicine. He completed his pediatrics residency at the University of Michigan Medical Center and C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, and his pediatric infectious diseases fellowship at Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital.
Dr. Congeni is board certified in pediatrics and pediatric infectious diseases. A member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Infectious Diseases Society of America, and American Society of Microbiology, Dr. Congeni has been named in the Best Doctors in America for more than a dozen years. He has been the recipient of numerous faculty awards, including Leibelt-Wheeler, 1999, Legendary Service, 2013, Golden Apple Award for teaching excellence 6 times, honorary hooder by the graduating class 4 times and he was elected Master Teacher at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (NEOMED), class of 2000.
Dr. Congeni serves as an editorial board member for Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, and is a past editorial board member for Concise Reviews of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. He has authored more than 60 abstracts, book chapters, and peer-reviewed medical journal publications, and he has served as a guest editor of Pediatric Annals.
Joseph A. Congeni, MD
Professor of Pediatrics, Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED), Rootstown, OH
Clinical Professor of Pediatrics & Sports Medicine,Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, OH
Medical Director of the Sports Medicine Center, Akron Children's Hospital, Akron, OH
Dr. Congeni developed the Primary Care Pediatrics Sports Medicine Fellowship at Akron Children's Hospital, the first of its kind at a pediatric hospital in the U.S. in 1990. He is a 1980 graduate of the University of Notre Dame; and received his medical degree from NEOMED in 1984. Dr. Congeni is currently a team physician for the University of Akron and Archbishop Hoban High School.
He has won many awards including: OHSAA Respect the Game Award, Ohio Athletic Trainer's Association's Team Physician of the Year Award, and Ohio Outstanding Team Physician by the Ohio State Medical Association. Most recently he received the Dr. Carl Krill Award for humanism and excellence in the field of medicine from the Knights of Columbus. He is also a lead author on the American Academy of Pediatrics' Baseball/Softball Policy Statement issued March 2012. Dr. Congeni's media events vary from appearing on NBC's TODAY Show in 2009 to his appearance on a PBS documentary entitled "The Smartest Team" in 2012 and a Sports Illustrated segment in 2014. He also appears on a weekly radio Sports Medicine segment. He and his wife Karen have six children.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Exercised induced asthma and vocal cord dysfunction in the approach to athletes with shortness of breath or chronic fatigue
- Describe the differential diagnosis of shortness of breath in athletes vs. chronic fatigue.
- The pre-participation sports physical: Making it a worthwhile exercise for parents, athletes and medical personnel.
- Explain the appropriate work-up of infections mono and safe return to play.
- Hand, finger, wrist injuries in athletes. (includes splinting vs. surgical approach)
- Describe the differences in "jammed finger" injuries from volar plate injury (ligament tear), mallet finger, Jersey finger and fracture.
- Initial evaluation and management of sports concussions.
- Ensure that the participant is aware of the factors that predispose athletes to prolonged recovery from sports concussion.
- A systematic approach to assessment of sports shoulders injuries.
- Ensure that participants will be able to differentiate and manage dislocated shoulder vs. separated shoulder.
- Spine injuries in athletes: differentiating the workup and management in young athletes adults.
- Upon completion of this session a participant should be able to determine the appropriate use of x-rays, MRI, bone scan and CTs.
- Stress fractures in athletes: Identifying low risk vs. high risk fractures
- Describe the hallmark presentation of Jones fracture, tarsal navicular and proximal/anterior tibial stress fractures and femoral neck and be aware of the implications of missing them.
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Feb 17||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Mon Feb 18||At Sea
Lectures: 8:00am ‐ 12 Noon
|Tue Feb 19||At Sea
|Wed Feb 20||Philipsburg, St. Maarten
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Thu Feb 21||San Juan, Puerto Rico
||7:00 am||3:00 pm|
|Fri Feb 22||Labadee, Haiti
||9:30 am||6:00 pm|
|Sat Feb 23||At Sea
Lectures: 8:00am ‐ 12 Noon
|Sun Feb 24||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.