Clinical Skills for Mental Health Counselors
5-Day Bahamas Cruise Conference
Round-trip Charleston, SC
May 4 - 9, 2019
10 CEU Contact Hours
$125 Early Registration (Per Attendee) Now until Jan 1, 2019
$150 Regular Registration (Per Attendee) 1/2/19- 5/4/19
Judie Cooper is a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (LPCS) in South Carolina. She has over 10 years of experience with both inpatient and outpatient, has treated adults, children and families using individual, family and group sessions. She is the developer of Upstate CEUs.
Carly Patterson is a Licensed Professional Counselor. Carly Patterson has 20 years of counseling experience working with children and adolescents with serious emotional disturbances and mental illness. She is currently the Director of the Child and Adolescent (C&A) Mental Health Clinic in Anderson, SC and oversees the C&A services in three counties.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Day One (May 5, 2019): Helping Clients Get Unstuck - 5 CEU Contact Hours
9 AM-12 PM; 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
We often see clients that are stuck on past issues. They want to"get over it", but how? This seminar is based on "Forgive For Good", by Dr. Fred Luskin and is used by permission. The information provides a step-by-step method of moving forward despite past hurts. The method is not based on religion, but is consistent with many religions.
- What Forgiveness is and isn't
- Research about maintaining anger and hurt
- Research from The Forgiveness Project
- The specific, action based steps to help clients (and ourselves) get "unstuck" from past hurts.
- Review of worksheets to use with clients.
- Day Two (May 8, 2019): - 5 CEU Contact Hours
9 AM -12 PM : Engaging Clients in Therapy
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM : Counseling Techniques Every Counselor Can Use
Synopsis: One of the most difficult parts of providing effective counseling is how to keep clients engaged and participating in the therapeutic process. This seminar focuses on how to make traditional therapy interventions into games and games into therapeutic interventions. Although the techniques and examples focus on children and adolescents, the same principles and techniques apply to adults.
- Identify typical barriers to engaging clients in treatment.
- Identify common diagnoses and treatment goals.
- Identify typical treatment interventions.
- Explain how games, activities help clients participate in sessions, internalize information and practice skills.
- Translate typical treatment interventions into a variety of games and activities that are therapeutically sound.
|09:00 AM - 09:30 AM||Barriers to treatment|
|09:30 AM - 10:00 AM||Common diagnoses, goals|
|10:00 AM - 10:30 AM||Traditional interventions|
|10:30 AM - 11:00 AM||How activities benefit clients||11:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Developing games, activities|
|1:30 PM - 3:30 PM||Counseling Techniques Every Counselor Can Use|
Upstate CEUs was started to provide local, low-cost CEU seminars to mental health professionals in the Upstate SC. All seminars are designed to contain information and skills clinicians can immediately use. Classes are generally small and interactive. SC LLR Permanent Sponsor #4546.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat May 04||Charleston, SC
|Sun May 05||At Sea
|Mon May 06||Nassau, The Bahamas
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Tue May 07||Princess Cays, The Bahamas
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Wed May 08||At Sea
|Thu May 09||Charleston, SC
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.