Prescribing Practices and Management of Chronic Pain and Substance Use Disorder
7-Night Mexican Riviera
Round-trip San Diego, California, US
March 24 - 31, 2019
21 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
21 Contact Hours
10% Early Course Registration Discount!
Marvin Firestone is an expert in the area of Medical Law. He is the past President of the American College of Legal Medicine and a certified specialist in Legal Medicine/Medical Jurisprudence by the American Board of Law in Medicine. Dr. Firestone holds a medical degree from Temple University (1964) and a law degree from the University of Colorado (1980).
He was the Editor-in-Chief of Medical Legal Lessons, is Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Legal Medicine Questions and Answers, and is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Legal Medicine and Textbook of Legal Medicine, publications of the American College of Legal Medicine. He formerly held the Hirsh Chair at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C. where he was professor at its Medical and Law Schools and School of Health Services Administration, teaching Legal Medicine, Psychiatry and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Hospital Administration. Dr. Firestone provides medical-legal consultation and practices medical law across the State of California.
- Temple University School of Medicine.
- University of Colorado School of Law.
- Practicing Physician since 1964.
- Practicing Medical Law since 1981.
- Board Certified by the American Boards of Psychiatry and Neurology, Legal Medicine, Forensic Psychiatry, and Medical Jurisprudence.
- Fellow and Past President, American College of Legal Medicine.
- Past President, Northern California Psychiatric Society and Chair of its Ethics Committee.
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, and California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals.
- Admitted to Practice law in California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Texas, and before the United States Supreme Court and Court of Federal Claims.
- Former Professor of Medicine and Law, George Washington University.
S. Sandy Sanbar, MD, PhD, JD, FCLM
Dr. Sanbar was born in Haifa, and received his MD at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon. He did a residency in Internal Medicine at the Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, and earned a Ph.D. at the Universities of Oklahoma and Michigan Medical Centers, and a Cardiovascular fellowship at the Michigan Heart Association. His JD is from Oklahoma City University.
Since 1970's, he has practiced in Oklahoma City both as an Attorney at Law and Internal Medicine and Cardiology. Dr. Sanbar is a Past President of the American College of Legal Medicine and he has received numerous awards from the American College of Legal Medicine. He was the Chairman of the American Board of Legal Medicine (ABLM); and is Adjunct Professor of Medical Jurisprudence, Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Sanbar authored over 200 articles, and serves as editor of several books in his specialties. He publishes a monthly article for the LAW AND MEDICINE section of the Oklahoma County Medical Society. He is a member of the Oklahoma Bar, the Oklahoma County Bar, the Oklahoma State Medical Association and the Oklahoma County Medical Society. He is a State, National and International Lecturer on Legal Medicine and Medical Malpractice.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
At the conclusion of the course, attendees should be able to:
- Identify and prevent the common causes of prescribing-related patient injury.
- Integrate satisfaction of patients and families with medication treatment.
- Recognize and protect patients' legal rights such as informed consent relating to medications.
- Recognize and comply with clinicians' legal responsibilities relating to medications.
- Integrate supervision by physicians of mid-level practitioners who prescribe or monitor medication therapy.
- Illustrate cooperation among members of the health care team relating to medications.
Prescribing Practices and Management of Chronic Pain and Substance Use DisorderCourse Overview:
This course on prescribing practices and management of chronic pain and substance use disorder is an intensive 2½ day course designed for physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other clinicians in all specialties, who need or wish to increase their knowledge and ability to effectively prescribe and control medications while reducing the risk for abuse. This course is approved by the California Medical Board as meeting the coursework requirements of physician probation.
Research indicates that up to one third of the disciplinary actions taken by Medical Boards are related to physician misprescribing practices. Learn proper prescribing practices and how best to document prescriptions for controlled substances. Learn to avoid common pitfalls including: inappropriate dispensing of medications from physicianapos;s offices, prescribing large amounts of narcotics at frequent intervals, or prescribing to family members, friends, or a person with a known history of substance abuse.
This course has been developed to enhance the physician's ability to effectively prescribe controlled medications, while minimizing their misuse whenever possible.
- Proper indications for prescribing.
- Choosing the medication.
- Requirement of adequate prior examination.
- Identifying contra-indications before prescribing.
- Identifying potential medication interactions before prescribing.
- Non-prescription (over-the-counter) drugs and nutritional supplements.
- Herbal remedy interactions.
- Food interactions.
- Alcohol interactions.
- Dosing errors.
- Informed consent for medications.
- Instructions to patients on medications.
- Medication warnings for patients.
- Safe patient monitoring, and recognizing adverse reactions and therapeutic failure.
- Preventing, identifying and managing medication non-compliance.
- Collaborative (split) treatment.
- Terminating care of a patient on medication.
- Controlled substances prescribing requirements.
- Treating addicted patients.
- Drug-seeking patients.
- Substance-abusing patients.
- Fraudulent prescriptions.
- Prescribing excessive quantities of medications.
- Clinician storage and dispensing of controlled substances.
- Chronic pain diagnosis.
- Chronic pain medication treatment.
- Classes of medications associated with increased risk.
- Medications prescribed for psychoactive effects.
- Prescribing function-enhancing medications.
- Internet medication prescribing.
- Internet medication purchases by patients.
- Aiding and abetting of unlicensed practice.
- Prescribing by supervised nurse practitioners, naturopaths and physician assistants.
- Formulary conflicts.
- Acceptable off-label medication prescribing.
- Deviations from pharmaceutical manufacturers' recommendations.
- Sources of information for prescribing medications.
- Illegible, ambiguous and contradictory medication orders.
- Verbal orders, standing orders, PRN orders.
- Self-prescribing by clinicians.
- Prescribing for family members or friends.
- Common bases for actions by regulatory agencies relating to medications.
The American College of Legal Medicine designates this live and enduring materials activity for a maximum of 21.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ . Physicians should claim only credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course is approved by the California Medical Board as meeting the coursework requirements of physician probation.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sun Mar 24||San Diego, California, US
|Mon Mar 25||At Sea - Cruising
|Tue Mar 26||Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
||10:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Wed Mar 27||Mazatlan, Mexico
||8:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Thu Mar 28||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
||8:00 am||11:00 pm|
|Fri Mar 29||At Sea - Cruising
|Sat Mar 30||At Sea - Cruising
|Sun Mar 31||San Diego, California, US
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.