Medical Ethics and Legal Medicine
7-Night Alaska Cruise Conference
Round-trip Seattle, Washington
August 17 - 24, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
CLE may be available
2 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. McMenamin is the Principal at McMenamin Law Offices, PLLC, in Richmond, Virginia. He is also Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, W Medical Strategy Group, and Principal Consultant, Venebio Group. He has 30 years of experience in representing health care providers, life sciences companies, telemedicine concerns, and food companies. Joe has defended these organizations against a variety of allegations in state and federal court. He currently assists clients on an array of regulatory and reimbursement issues, licensure, informed consent, contract matters, risk management, and privacy. For much of his career, Joe was a partner at McGuireWoods, a large international law firm, before launching his own law practice in 2013.
Previously, Dr. McMenamin practiced emergency medicine at hospitals in Pennsylvania and Georgia on a part-time and full-time basis over a seven-year period overlapping his specialty training and legal education. He presently serves as general counsel to the Virginia Telemedicine Network, and as a member of the Legal Resource Team for CTeL, the Center for Telemedicine and eHealth Law. Joe is an associate professor of Legal Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University's Medical College of Virginia and a former member of the Boards of Directors of the Medical Society of Virginia Insurance Agency and of the Richmond Ambulance Authority. He also serves on the Advisory Boards of CW Optics, Inc., the Regulatory Harmonization Institute, and RemainHome Solutions, Inc.
Dr. McMenamin has authored or co-authored scores of articles and book chapters on a wide array of topics pertinent to the fields alluded to above as well as on other subjects. He has also given hundreds of presentations at local, state, national, and international meetings of lawyers, doctors, risk managers, business continuity experts, regulatory professionals, and other groups on topics pertinent to his areas of expertise.
Dr. McMenamin graduated summa cum laude from Washington and Lee with a BS in chemistry in 1974, with an MD from the School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in 1978, and with a JD from the School of Law at the same institution in 1985. He trained in internal medicine at Emory University and Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta from 1978 to 1981. He is board-certified in Legal Medicine and a Fellow of the College of Legal Medicine.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
LAW & ETHICS: MEDICINE & TELEMEDICINE
- ETHICAL ASPECTS OF MEDICINE & TELEMEDICINE - 1 Hour
- Professionalism, Communication and Etiquette
- Telemedicine in the 21st Century
- Starting a Telemedicine Practice
- Federal and State Laws & Regulations
- Affordable Care Act and Accountable Care Organizations
- State Licensing: Doctors without Borders (FSMB)
- Medicine & Telemedicine Credentialing and Privileging
- Privacy, Confidentiality and Security (HIPAA)
- Fraud, Abuse, Antitrust & Stark Laws
- Current State of Implementation of Health Information Technology (HIT)
- Meaningful Use Stages I, 2 (2014) and 3 (2016)
- Electronic Informed Consent
- EHR Malpractice Liability
- The Dying Process
- Classification of Euthanasia
- Physician Aid in Dying and Hospice Care
- Determination of Death
- Controlled Substances Act Standard of Pain Treatment
- REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) Program
- Monitoring Programs and Disposal of controlled substances
- Pain Management State Guidelines, Laws and Rules
- Addiction, Death and Pain Malpractice
- Federal and State Rules of Evidence Governing Expert Witnesses
- Deposition of Expert Witness
- Direct and Cross Examination of Expert at Trial
- Daubert Challenges of Experts
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Official Disability Guidelines
- Rating Impairment under AMA Guides
- Return to Work Guidelines
- American Law and Judicial Process
- Medical Negligence: Causes, Prevention and Defenses
- Spoliation of Evidence in Medical Records
- Capacity, Competency, Informed Consent and Informed Refusal
- Liability of MCOs, ACOs, Hospitals, CRNAs, Nurses, PAs and Nurse Practitioners
- Malpractice Case Presentations
- MOCK TRIAL: Never Event Medical Error
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Fri Aug 17||Seattle, Washington
|Sat Aug 18||At Sea
|Sun Aug 19||Ketchikan, Alaska
||7:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Mon Aug 20||Cruising Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
||6:00 am||10:00 am|
|Mon Aug 20||Juneau, Alaska
||1:30 pm||10:00 pm|
|Tue Aug 21||Skagway, Alaska
||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Tue Aug 21||Inside Passage, Alaska
||6:30 pm||10:30 pm|
|Wed Aug 22||At Sea
|Thu Aug 23||Victoria, British Columbia
||5:30 pm||11:59 pm|
|Fri Aug 24||Seattle, Washington
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.