Topics in Infectious Diseases and Nephrology
7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Conference
Round-trip Fort Lauderdale, FL
July 7 - 14, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
4½ Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Texas A&M HSC COM
Director, Division of Nephrology & Hypertension
Chief, Section of Clinical Transplantation
Dr. Narayanan received his medical degree at Christian Medical College, Ludhiana, India, and completed residencies in Internal Medicine at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, India and at Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. He completed clinical fellowships in Nephrology at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago, Illinois, and at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Nephrology, and Geriatric Medicine and is a Certified Specialist in Hypertension by the American Society of Hypertension.
Dr. Narayanan is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Texas A&M Health Science Center-College of Medicine and Baylor Scott & White Healthcare in Temple, Texas, where he serves as Director, Division of Nephrology-Hypertension and Medical Director of the Abdominal Transplant Program.
A fellow of the National Kidney Foundation, the American Society of Nephrology, the American College of Physicians and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Dr. Narayanan&apos's clinical practice focuses on all aspects of Nephrology as well as kidney and pancreas transplantation.
A frequent lecturer, presenter, and author, Dr. Narayanan's work has been published in several peer reviewed journals including the American Journal of Kidney Disease, American Journal of Transplantation, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Hemodialysis International, Investigative Radiology, and Journal of the American Society of Nephrology , among many others. He is also the Principal Investigator for several industry sponsored clinical trials. Dr. Narayanan serves on the editorial board of the journal Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease and is a reviewer for the American Journal of Transplantation .
Michael J. Tan, MD, FACP, FIDSA
Summa Health Medical Group Infectious Diseases
Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
Michael J. Tan, MD is Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) in Rootstown, Ohio. At NEOMED, he is co-course director of the Infection and Immunity Course and Vice-Chair of the Infectious Disease Section of the Principles of Medicine Course. Dr. Tan is Lead Physician for Summa Health Medical Group-Infectious Disease at Summa Health System in Akron, Ohio where he is also Clinical Physician, Infectious Diseases and HIV as well as Medical Director for the Summa Health Clinical Research Center. Dr. Tan is board certified in infectious disease and internal medicine. He obtained his medical degree from the Northeastern Universities College of Medicine (now NEOMED) and completed his residency training at Summa Health System. He then completed a fellowship in Infectious Disease at the University of South Florida, Tampa, FL.
Dr. Tan is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP) and Fellow of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). He is Governor for the Ohio Chapter of the American College of Physicians and serves as Chair, Chapters Subcommittee for the College.
Dr. Tan's primary research interests include participation in multi-centered controlled trials of new and novel treatments for Clostridium difficile infection, skin and soft tissue infection, and pneumonia. He is co-editor of Tan JS, File TM Jr., Salata RA, Tan MJ (eds.) Expert Guide to Infectious Diseases, 2nd edition (2008, ACP Press) and Rosenthal KS and Tan MJ (eds.) Rapid Review Microbiology and Immunology 3rd edition (2010, Mosby). Dr. Tan is listed in Best Doctors in America (2010 to present).
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- New antimicrobial agent review and antimicrobial prophylaxis for prevention of endocarditis
- Intra-abdominal infections and diverticulitis
- Infectious issues in patients receiving TNF inhibitors
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- C difficile diarrhea
- Antimicrobial stewardship and its role in primary care
- Infectious disease image and word association
- Urinalysis - A Window into the Body
- Describe methods of urine collection.
- Interpret physical and dipstick examination of urine.
- Identify microscopic elements in urine sediment
- Solve clinical cases with abnormal urinalyses
- Understanding Diuretics
- Describe classification and mechanism of action of diuretics
- Review clinical uses and adverse effects
- Define diuretic adaptation and resistance
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Review definition, epidemiology, course and burden of AKI
- Recognize common causes of AKI and identify risk factors
- Discuss the medical management of AKI in the hospitalized patient
- Illustrate with case presentation
- Poisonings in Nephrology
- Discuss different medications and poisonings seen in clinical practice
- Review the clinical presentation of these poisonings
- Describe the management of these poisonings
- Disorders of Water Balance
- Define osmolality and tonicity
- Describe approach to hypo and hypernatremia with case presentations
- Review steps and pitfalls in management of hyponatremia
- Renovascular Hypertension
- Review the pathophysiology of renovascular hypertension
- Describe patients at risk for developing ischemic nephropathy
- Describe diagnostic evaluation of renal artery stenosis
- Discuss management of patients with atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis
- Chronic kidney Disease - A Call to Action
- Facilitate timely testing and intervention in patients at risk for CKD.
- Apply appropriate clinical measures to manage risk and increase patient safety in CKD.
- Comanage and refer to nephrologists, when appropriate, to improve outcomes in CKD.
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Jul 07||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Sun Jul 08||Nassau, The Bahamas
||7:00 am||2:00 pm|
|Mon Jul 09||At Sea - Cruising
|Tue Jul 10||Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI
||10:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Wed Jul 11||Basseterre, St. Kitts
||7:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Thu Jul 12||At Sea - Cruising
|Fri Jul 13||At Sea - Cruising
|Sat Jul 14||Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.