Topics in Cardiology, Preventive Cardiology, Cardiometabolic Disease, Preventive Endocrinology, and Lipidology
7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise ConferenceRound-trip Miami, Florida
December 1 - 8, 2018
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 Contact Hours
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Diplomate, American Board of Clinical Lipidology
Physician cofounder AvanceMD Concierge & Medispa, Richmond, VA
Chief of Cardiometabolic Education, Foundation for Health Improvement & Technology (nonprofit) Co-founder MD21.com virtual medicine
Dr. Tara Dall is a board certified lipidologist with roots in family medicine and training at the University of Wisconsin Madison. She has spent the last 15 years using advanced biomarker testing in the clinical care of patients. She graduated in the inaugural class of Diplomates of the American Board of Clinical Lipidology in 2005. Her center achieved national recognition as the first fully certified Level II lipid clinic in the United States.
In 2008, Dr. Dall formed the Early Detection Center for heart disease and diabetes near Madison, Wisconsin and served as a clinical associate professor for the Medical College of Wisconsin. Two years later, she brought her fight against heart disease to the web, co-founding Lecturepad.org and FHITtv.org, web platforms that advance clinical understanding and application of advanced lipid and biomarker testing.
For 3 years Dr. Dall served as Chief Medical Officer of Health Diagnostic Laboratory. As an author and educator on biomarker research focused on the role that insulin resistance plays in diabetes prevention she has expanded the education of physicians to prevent chronic disease. She has a special interest in insulin resistance's role in cardiovascular disease, women's heart disease, Autoimmune disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and obesity. She also serves as chief of cardiometabolic education at the non-profit Foundation for Health Improvement and Technology (FHIT).
Known for her passionate delivery of complex medical topics in patient-friendly terms, Dr. Dall is a sought after speaker, traveling the world to present research on advanced biomarkers. She is a also a regular go-to for reporters, appearing on Bloomberg News, CBS Sports, CNN Radio, Reach MD Satellite Radio, and RadioHealth Journal. She was also a regular guest on KTXD-TV's The Broadcast in Dallas, as well as programs on wabcradio.com (Optimal wellness and Forever Young). She continues to practice medicine as a physician founder of AvanceMD Concierge in Richmond, VA which incorporates cutting edge web based technology to the human touch of medicine, providing services to local as well as national and international clients.
Khalid H. Sheikh, MD, MBA, FACC
Director Cardiology, Cape Canaveral Hospital, Cocoa Beach, Florida.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Duke University Global Health Institute.
Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida College of Medicine.
Dr. Sheikh lives and works on the Space Coast of Florida. He is Director of the advanced lipid management clinic for Health First Cardiology and Director of Cardiology for Cape Canaveral Hospital. His clinical interests include preventative cardiology, cardiac imaging, and global cardiac health and wellness programs. He was voted by the Consumer council of America as one of America's top cardiologists.
Dr. Sheikh is board certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases, and has an MBA from Florida Institute of Technology. He also holds sub-specialty certifications in adult echocardiography, cardiac multislice CT imaging and advanced lipid management. His academic appointments are as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Duke University Global Health Institute, as well Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Central Florida.
Dr. Sheikh conducts clinical research and speaks at national and international forums about a variety of topics related to clinical research, cardiovascular diseases and cardiac wellness. He has served as the principal investigator in over 100 national and international clinical trials. He has authored over 150 scientific abstracts, peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters and reviews. He is the author of the critically acclaimed heart wellness book, " Don't Let Your Heart Attack."
He is on the editorial board of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and the Journal of the National Lipid Association.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
- Management of Hyperlipidemia: A cardiologists perspective
- Review the evidence to support the use of statins for primary and secondary prevention.
- Review the evidence to support the elimination of non-statin therapy from lipid treatment guidelines.
- Review of current national and international practice guidelines.
- Cardiac Risk Assessment: Risk calculators and incorporating cardiac imaging.
- Appreciate the value and limitations of cardiovascular risk calculators.
- Understand the utility and role of non-invasive arterial imaging modalities.
- Cardiac coronary artery CT imaging in the diagnosis of chest pain.
- Protocols for coronary artery CT imaging; benefits, risks and value?
- Identify appropriate candidates with chest pain syndromes for coronary artery CT imaging.
- The role of PCSK9 inhibitors in the treatment of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
- Understand the role of PCSK9 inhibitor therapy in management of dyslipidemia.
- Review of clinical trials evaluating the clinical benefits of injectable PCSK9 treatment.
- Statin Intolerance/Resistance: Is the problem the patient or the drug?
- Understand the physiologic basis and incidence of statin intolerance.
- Review of treatment options for patients who are statin intolerant or resistant.
- Management of Symptomatic Stable CAD: Stents for everybody?
- Appreciate in which patients are percutaneous coronary intervention and surgical revascularization are useful.
- Review novel medical therapies for CAD.
- Plaque reversal: myth or reality?
- Is the development of atheroscleotic plaque an inevitable consequence of untreated cardiovascular risk factors?
- What is the evidence for interventions that claim to prevent plaque progression or promote plaque regression?
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Sat Dec 01||Miami, Florida
|Sun Dec 02||Key West, Florida
||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Mon Dec 03||At Sea - Cruising
Lectures 8:00 am-12 Noon; 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
|Tue Dec 04||Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico
||8:00 am||5:00 pm|
|Wed Dec 05||Cozumel, Mexico
||7:00 am||4:00 pm|
|Thu Dec 06||George Town, Cayman Islands
||10:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri Dec 07||At Sea - Cruising
8:00 am-12 Noon; 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
|Sat Dec 08||Miami, Florida
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.