Medical Ethics and Legal Medicine
7-Night Alaska Cruise Conference
Round-trip Seattle, Washington
July 19 - 26, 2019
14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
14 CE Credits
14 Contact Hours
CLE may be available
$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists & Doctors of Pharmacy
$695 for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
$495 Nurses, Residents, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Dr. Firestone is a Past President of the American College of Legal Medicine and a certified specialist in Legal Medicine/Medical Jurisprudence by the American Board of Law in Medicine. He is a frequent lecturer at national legal medicine and medical law conferences. Dr. Firestone holds a medical degree from Temple University (1964) and a law degree from the University of Colorado (1980).
He was the Editor-in-Chief of Medical Legal Lessons, is Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Legal Medicine Questions and Answers, and is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Legal Medicine and Textbook of Legal Medicine, publications of the American College of Legal Medicine. He formerly held the Hirsh Chair at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C. where he was professor at its Medical and Law Schools and School of Health Services Administration, teaching Legal Medicine, Psychiatry and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Hospital Administration.
Dr. Firestone provides medical-legal consultation and practices medical law. His legal practice primarily involves representation of physicians in cases involving hospital staff privileges, licensure, medical practice disputes and other complex medicolegal issues.
Our staff can assist you with all your travel arrangements.
14 Hours CME (2 Hours Ethics)
CLE, Dental and Nursing Contact Hours
- ETHICS & BIOETHICS 1 Hour
- Bioethics, Professionalism, and Communication
- Fetal Interests, Abortion and Stem Cell Research
- Licensing, Credentialing, Privileging and Impairment Issues
- HIPAA, EMTALA, and Other Federal Mandates
- Affordable Care Act and Accountable Care Organizations
- Fraud and Abuse and Criminal Negligence
- Current State of Implementation of Health Information Technology (HIT)
- Meaningful Use Stages I, 2 (2014) and 3 (2016)
- Electronic Informed Consent
- EHR Malpractice Liability
- The Dying Process
- Classification of Euthanasia
- Physician Aid in Dying and Hospice Care
- Determination of Death
- Controlled Substances Act Standard of Pain Treatment
- REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) Program
- Monitoring Programs and Disposal of controlled substances
- Pain Management State Guidelines, Laws and Rules
- Addiction, Death and Pain Malpractice
- Federal and State Rules of Evidence Governing Expert Witnesses
- Deposition of Expert Witness
- Direct and Cross Examination of Expert at Trial
- Daubert Challenges of Experts
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Official Disability Guidelines
- Rating Impairment under AMA Guides
- Return to Work Guidelines
- American Law and Judicial Process
- Medical Negligence: Causes, Prevention and Defenses
- Spoliation of Evidence in Medical Records
- Capacity, Competency, Informed Consent and Informed Refusal
- Liability of MCOs, ACOs, Hospitals, CRNAs, Nurses, PAs and Nurse Practitioners
- Malpractice Case Presentations
- MOCK TRIAL: Never Event Medical Error
Accreditation: Continuing Education, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: Continuing Education, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Osteopathic Physicians: This program is eligible for Category 2 credit with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) .
Canadian Physicians: This activity is eligible for Section 1 credits in the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program . Participants must log into MAINPORT to claim this activity.
US or Canadian Family Physicians: Please let us know if you require AAFP Prescribed Credits.
Physician Assistants: AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
Nurse Practitioners: can claim either ANCC Contact Hours or AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ as needed.
Pharmacology credits are identified on individual activities.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or used with an activity.
Approval: Continuing Education, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Continuing Education, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Designation: As an organization approved by the American Psychological Association, Continuing Education, Inc. is offering this activity for a maximum of 14 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credit will be given for partial attendance.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.
|DATE||PORT OF CALL||ARRIVE||DEPART|
|Fri Jul 19||Seattle, Washington
|Sat Jul 20||At Sea - Cruising
|Sun Jul 21||Juneau, Alaska
||12:00 pm||9:00 pm|
|Sun Jul 21||The Inside Passage - Scenic cruising
|Mon Jul 22||Skagway, Alaska
||7:00 am||8:30 pm|
|Tue Jul 23||Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier - Scenic cruising
||7:00 am||12:00 pm|
|Wed Jul 24||At Sea - Cruising
|Thu Jul 25||Victoria, Canada
||9:00 am||6:00 pm|
|Fri Jul 26||Seattle, Washington
Please note that our shore excursions are operated separately and
independently of those offered by the cruise line.